Engine 50 and Truck 12 were organized on May 6, 1901 at 1325 W. Cambria Street. Both companies continue to respond from this house. It is the second oldest firehouse in Philadelphia still in operation. This station also has a swimming pool in the basement. The building has been renovated several times over years. These renovations included the removal of the third floor and mansard roof in 1950.
On April 24, 1984 Rescue 22 moved to Engine 50’s house from Engine 45. Battalion 8 moved in on July 6, 1988.
Three units continue to call this location home, but on November 23, 2019, Battalion 8 moved to Engine 59’s station at 22nd & Hunting Park Avenue.
On 11/15/1969 at 5:16pm, the Fire Alarm Room received signals from Box 691 at 11th & Cambria Sts.. During these years, boxes with a history of false alarms, as was Box 691, were dispatched as a “special assignment” . A special assignment consisted of an engine and ladder, in this case, Engine 50 & Ladder 12 which were dispatched rather than the full box assignment. However, when Engine 50 arrived at the box at 5:18pm, he found heavy fire in a 1 story building, the former American Cardboard Co. on the N.W. cor. of 11th & Cambria and asked that the box be struck out bringing 3 more engines, a ladder and 2 battalion chiefs. Soon after the 1st-in battalion chief, Battalion 8, arrived his aide requested the 2nd alarm at 5:23pm. At 5:29pm, Battalion 8’s aide placed the fire under control and requested that the dispatcher return all 2nd alarm companies as they had not yet gotten into service- a very unusual event. After the fire, when Battalion 8 got back into his station we received an explanation of this rare occurrence. After arrival and quick size-up of the fire, the Chief held up 2 fingers for his aide in the chief’s car to see. The aide interpreted that as requesting the 2nd alarm. But the Chief thought he was requesting that all engines on the first alarm lead off with 2.5-inch hose lines!