The sub-engine at the House of Correction was organized during 1883 in a building on grounds of the prison in the Holmesburg section of the city. The original company roster was as follows:
Foreman Granville S. White
Driver Jacob Toy
Engineer Washington Fulmer
Fireman William Bowers
Hoseman George Warr
Hoseman Charles Raymond
These members staffed three pieces of apparatus, a steamer, hose wagon, and a city-service ladder truck. All three pieces would respond at all times. The ladder truck was known as Auxiliary Truck D.
On February 1, 1891 the company was reorganized as Engine 36 at 7818 Frankford Avenue. The company still responded with three pieces of apparatus. The original company roster was composed of the following members:
Foreman Granville S. White
Engineer Washington Fullmer
Driver George Warr
Fireman George W. Mayberry
Hoseman Charles A. Raymond
Hoseman Robert W. Solly
Hoseman William Colsher
Hoseman Christian C. Melsch
Auxiliary Truck D became Truck 20 on January 21, 1926. On March 24, 1971 Ladder 20 moved to Engine 38’s station. Engine 36 moved to a rented garage at 3515-21 Welsh Road on March 26, 1971. Both companies were moved so the old station could be demolished and a new station built on the lot. Engine 36 and Ladder 20 moved into the new station at 7818-20 Frankford Avenue on September 8, 1972. Rescue 17 moved into the new station on the same day from Engine 46’s station where they were organized on May 1, 1970.
Have an interesting story about Engine 36 that you would like to share? We would love to hear from you. Use the comment form below.
Looking for interesting Philadelphia Fire Department Merchandise? Visit our store for great patches and much more.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
Jack Wright (April 11, 1963-April 6, 2021) was a lifelong resident of Philadelphia, PA. As a child he was fascinated with fire engines in general and those of the Philadelphia Fire Department in particular. He chased them his entire life. From his early days of grammar school, he watched Engine 53 and Ladder 27 responding to alarms in his South Philadelphia neighborhood. Those scenes made an indelible impression on him. It was at that time that he began collecting photographs relating to the Philadelphia Fire Department.
With his interest in the Philadelphia Fire Department and its history, it was only natural that he found himself at the Fireman’s Hall Museum. In May of 1988 he began working as a museum volunteer. While working there he became involved in researching the department’s history, as well as documenting it. Some of his research has been used by the Philadelphia Fire Department to evaluate their operations and procedures and make changes where necessary. On October 14, 2007 Jack was named the official Philadelphia Fire Department Historian by Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers.
Jack served on the Board of Directors of Fireman’s Hall. He also was a contributing editor for Fire Apparatus Journal. Jack co-authored Hike Out, the only written history of the Philadelphia Fire department ever published. In addition, he published Philadelphia Fire Apparatus Volume 4. He wrote a number of articles relating to the department’s history that have been published in various magazines and newsletters and posts a history blog on the internet. Jack provided presentations to various historical societies in the Philadelphia area regarding the Philadelphia Fire Department.
Leave A Comment