Engine 28 was organized as a temporary company on the grounds of the World Exposition in Fairmount Park during the centennial celebration of July 1876. With only two engine companies west of the Schuylkill River, Engines 5 and 16, the department wanted to provide additional resources to protect the buildings and large crowds expected to attend the event. When the exposition ended, Engine 28 was discontinued.
On April 1, 1878 Engine 28 was reorganized at 3068 Belgrade in the Port Richmond section of the city. The original company roster was as follows:
Foreman William Knight
Engineer Charles Giberson
Driver William Hasson
Fireman William Hewit
Hoseman Thomas Hanna
Hoseman Adam Carnwell
Hoseman Nicholas Painter
Hoseman Henry Gross
Hoseman Lawrence Hoover
Hoseman Frank Bryant
Hoseman Patrick Kilday
Hoseman John Lukens
Mrs. Van Sciver was the company’s matron.
During 1909 the firehouse was renovated. Engine 28 would remain on Belgrade Street for nearly one hundred years. On February 21, 1978 the company moved into a new firehouse, their current location, at 2520 E Ontario Street.
Looking for interesting Philadelphia Fire Department Merchandise? Visit our store for great patches like this and much more.
1892 Silsby 2nd size steamer – rebuilt 1909. The driver is William Creighton. He was appointed to the Bureau of Fire in 1916 and retired in 1940.