Engine 65 and Truck 24 were organized April 23, 1926, in a new station at 54th Street and Haverford Avenue in West Philadelphia. Rescue 3-A was placed in service in the station during 1951. On April 8, 1952 Rescue 3-A moved to Engine 41’s firehouse. During 1957 Rescue 3-A was renamed Rescue 9. They moved back to Engine 54 on March 23, 1959, the same day Ladder 24 moved in with Engine 41. Engine 65 was disbanded on Saturday, June 18, 1988. Rescue 9 was moved to Engine 57’s station the same day Engine 65 was closed. The station still stands now operating as a community center.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!
About the Author: Jack Wright
Jack Wright is a lifelong resident of Philadelphia, PA. Since very early in his life he has been fascinated with fire engines in general and those of the Philadelphia Fire Department in particular. He has been chasing them his entire life. From his early days of grammar school, he has vivid memories of Engine 53 and Ladder 27 responding to alarms in his South Philadelphia neighborhood. Those scenes made an indelible impression on him. It was at this time that he began collecting photographs relating to the Philadelphia Fire Department. With his interest in the Philadelphia Fire Department and its history, it was only natural that he found himself at the Fireman’s Hall Museum. In May of 1988 he began volunteering there and has been doing so ever since. While working there he has been involved in researching the department’s history, as well as documenting it. Some of his research has been used by the Philadelphia Fire Department to evaluate their operations and procedures and make changes where necessary. On October 14, 2007 Jack was named the official Philadelphia Fire Department Historian by Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers. At the present time, Jack serves on the Board of Directors of Fireman’s Hall. He is also a contributing editor for Fire Apparatus Journal. Jack was a co-author for Hike Out, the only written history of the Philadelphia Fire department ever published. In addition he published Philadelphia Fire Apparatus Volume 4. He has written a number of articles relating to the department’s history that have been published in various magazines and newsletters and posts a history blog on the internet. Jack also provides presentations to various historical societies in the Philadelphia area regarding the Philadelphia Fire Department.